This may happen if you update the index to ignore certain files:
git update-index --assume-unchanged <file>
and then for instance checkout some other branch:
git checkout <branch> > error: Entry '<file>' not uptodate. Cannot merge.
Forcing index refresh fixes the issue:
git update-index --really-refresh <file>: needs update
git reset --hard
And then everything should be back to normal.
- How can I undo git reset –hard HEAD~1?
- How can I selectively merge or pick changes from another branch in Git?
- Git: How to solve Permission denied (publickey) error when using Git?
- Support for password authentication was removed. Please use a personal access token instead
- What’s the strategy for handling CRLF (carriage return, line feed) with Git?
- How to convert a normal Git repository to a bare one?
- Using the slash character in Git branch name
- Difference between msysgit and Cygwin + git?
- What does a grey icon in remote GitHub mean
- When should I use git pull –rebase?
- How to make shallow git submodules?
- What’s the equivalent of Subversion’s “use-commit-times” for Git?
- Two git repositories in one directory?
- git update-index –assume-unchanged on directory
- git-upload-pack: command not found, when cloning remote Git repo
- How to substitute text from files in git history?
- Password authentication is temporarily disabled as part of a brownout. Please use a personal access token instead [duplicate]
- Create a submodule repository from a folder and keep its git commit history
- How to link a folder with an existing Heroku app
- Undo git update-index –assume-unchanged
- Forking vs. Branching in GitHub
- Is there any way to git checkout previous branch?
- How do I make Git forget about a file that was tracked, but is now in .gitignore?
- Delete all local git branches
- Remove refs/original/heads/master from git repo after filter-branch –tree-filter?
- What’s the easiest way to deal with project configuration files?
- How to show the first commit by ‘git log’?
- How can I make git ignore future revisions to a file?
- use Winmerge inside of Git to file diff
- Remove a folder from git tracking
- Git: auto pull from repository?
- Why there are two ways to unstage a file in Git?
- How would I extract a single file (or changes to a file) from a git stash?
- Pull a certain branch from the remote server
- Force add despite the .gitignore file
- Completely cancel a rebase
- Local executing hook after a git push?
- Git allows for branch change with unstaged changes
- GitHub: Permission denied (publickey). fatal: The remote end hung up unexpectedly
- Use git “log” from another folder
- Visual Studio 2017 – Git failed with a fatal error
- Receiving “fatal: Not a git repository” when attempting to remote add a Git repo
- Making Git retain different section content between branches
- Git: Create a branch from unstaged/uncommitted changes on master
- Git remote branch deleted, but still it appears in ‘branch -a’
- How do I avoid the specification of the username and password at every git push?
- Where should I place my global ‘gitattributes’ file?
- Tracking changes to hooks in .git/hooks
- Unable to authenticate with Git Bash to Visual Studio Team Services
- Make git diff show UTF8 encoded characters properly